When are people going to learn that Dan Shaughnessy is bad for sports in this town. He is full of shit and doesnt know what the hell is is talking about. Yet people think of him as a guy who sets the agenda for the sports fan in this town. Bull shit. The guy is an out of touch has-been who needs to just go away.
Here are some excerpts from Shaughnessy's bullshit article back in February:
- "The bullpen looks strong. Let’s give Ben Cherington some props on the relief corps. Joel Hanrahan looks like a real closer."
- "These guys could be really bad. And really boring. 'Scrappy' doesn’t sell in Boston in 2013."
- "This must be what it feels like covering the Pittsburgh Pirates in Bradenton every spring."
- "Larry Lucchino actually said the $170 million Red Sox are a team of “scrappy underdogs. Swell, just swell. Hope springs eternal and all that."
- "But here’s the reality, people: The 2013 Red Sox might be really bad. Worse, they might be really boring."
This asshole literally could not have been more wrong. Im not saying I predicted the 2013 Red Sox would win the World Series but hell, I knew there were a ton of character guys and that it would at least be a likeable and interesting team to watch. Especially after the Bobby Valentine shit show.
The fact that Dan Shaughnessy looked at this team in spring training and these were the thoughts going through his head tells me that he is just bad at his job. Thats all there is to it. And it burns my ass that a guy like him has a column in a major media publication in this town.
When John Henry's purchase of the Boston Globe is finalized, he needs to fire this tool. For the sake of Red Sox fans, Dan Shaughnessy needs to go the hell away.